Monday, November 15, 2010

SFMOMA

       Although it has been almost three years since I came to live in the bay area, I have never had a chance to visit the Museum of Modern Art in San Francisco which I always passed by whenever I went through the third street. However, on Tuesday, the day that every museum in San Francisco was free, my friends and I decided to go to this well known museum, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. For me, as an art and architecture major, I’m always interested in Modern art as well as modern architecture. Overall, this trip to the museum was truly worthwhile to me. It not only enriched my experience and knowledge toward photography and Pop art, it also gained me a lesson about being patient and thinking about the meaning of each artworks. And I really appreciated the chance, the chance that I can communicate with the many artists through their art works. 
       The San Francisco Museum of modern Art (SFMOMA) is a modern art museum  in San Francisco restoring a large amount of the 20th century art pieces opened in 1935 under director Grance L. McCann. The majority of the artworks in the museum are mix media paintings, color and black-and-white photos and installation arts, which well express the idea of contemporary art in the 20th century. Personally, when it comes to modern art, my first impression of it is alway “abstract”, “profound” and “hard to understand”. However, after visiting the museum,  not only have I seen many of the masterpieces of modern artists and many of the famous artworks such as The Brown Sisters pictures by Nicholas Nixon and Kara Walker’s cutouts, I have gained a different perspective about what “art” really is. As one of my art teacher has told me, art is not purely something that is beautiful, creative or pleasant, it is the way that people express their feelings to their own lives and explanations to their very existences, the meanings of their lives. After seeing the many photos, paintings and other art pieces at the museum, seeing the artists’ hearts in their artworks, I really gained a deeper understanding about my teacher’s words after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment